Pre-writing skills are the key skills children require before they are able to write.
These skills contribute greatly to the child’s ability to draw, colour and write and play a major role in their ability to hold and use a pencil.
The 9 key pre-writing shapes make up most letters and numbers and your child will typically be able to master these shapes with practice when they are developmentally ready (see photo gallery for 'what to expect').
Our pre-writing learning mats are designed to help your child practice tracing and copying the key shapes and patterns required before moving onto letter formation. They build confidence making sure your child is truly ready to start forming letters.
Pushing a child to learn to write too early can be detrimental to their future learning in all subject areas so it is very important to take their time and get it right to avoid forming bad habits.
Why choose our learning mats?
- A gradual approach to learning to write, designed to aid confidence and development independent letter formation (stage 1, stage 2, stage 3)
- Our letter formation mats have clear 'starting stars' so the child knows where to begin the pencil movement and 'ending dots' so they know where to finish.
- 3 different designs, colourful and bright to make 'learning fun'!
- Minimal guidelines on the name mat so less daunting for younger children.
- Directional arrows can be added if required (select on checkout)
- Recommended for ages 3 years and above
- Recommended by primary school teachers
- Great reviews by parents
To purchase a triangular pen perfect for correct finger positioning click here
**Use any felt tip pen and wipe away with or damp cloth